Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Whistle while you...

Good morning.
Had a lovely weekend that continued to Monday. Yep. No work for me on Monday. A little "sick" but good overall...
There's this podcast I listen to. The Ricky Gervais show. He is easily recognizable as the man that created/starred in the BBC version of The Office. This podcast is record breaking. Listed in the Guiness Book of World Records as the most listened to/downloaded/whatever podcast. He's been doing a spin on the "just shooting the shit" podcast he usually does & is now making "The Ricky Gervais Guide To..." that focuses on several topics.
I was listening to The Ricky Gervais Guide to The Arts this morning coming in to work. In it he talks to one of his two co-stars on this thing Karl. Karl is a moron. Makes for good comedy though when you have someone to mercilessly insult, right? So, in getting to the point Ricky asks Karl how do you express yourself, art-wise?
Karl says..............
Whistling. Whistling?
Needless to say they laugh hysterically at Karl and he demonstrates it and all that...
Why is this important at all? Because it got me thinking... Do I go walk through life just kind of whistling? As a younger kid I'd write a shit ton of songs on my guitar. Put lyrics to those things. Put the "finished" product to cassette via my four track recorder. I mean, it's safe to say they were all probably steaming piles of shit but I was doing it, right?
I've recently picked up Joseph Heller's "Catch-22" and am reading that again. Man, it's amazing. Absolutely brilliant. Closest thing I come to published words is this fucking thing that floats around the inter nets and kinda keeps me from going insane by being stuck with my thoughts and no outlet to unload them.
I just feel like I'm whistling. That's all I contribute to the world as far as "art" is concerned. While, I'm certainly no "artist" and really have no gift to share there's a certain "art" to at least getting out there and trying it, right? Even if it's not shared with thousands of people or even hundreds. The creation of something is such an amazing thing. When someone listens to what you have recorded or written and has feedback or smiles even, you feel something inside you that kind of confirms that you have created something. Might not be an amazing work but it's SOMETHING...
I really don't know why this struck me this morning but it really did. It could be because the other night my girl was in the bathroom while I sat in the living area (studio apt) and was singing to whatever was playing through my iTunes on my laptop. She came out & told me that she likes the way I sing. I think that made me feel nice in a weird way. It brought me back to the days when I'd sit singing in to some shitty mic at my four track recorded knowing no one would ever hear this shit because I was sure it was terrible.
I guess I somewhat feel like I should be doing something more. I feel like a creative person yet haven't created dick. I'm just whistling.

Ugh..........
Oh well.
I'm moving on Friday. It's the second time in as many months...
Bet I'll be whistling while hauling boxes.

See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment